by Bobbie Jo Wasilko
He Hunts She Cooks
BBQ canned venison makes quick work for a creamy, spicy, venison pasta dinner. For the BBQ venison recipe, see my previous blog post for BBQ Canned Venison. http://hehuntsshecooks.com/canning-game-meat/.
- **1 quart jar BBQ Canned Venison
- 2 tbs. Bobbie's BBQ Rub (or substitute your favorite cajun spice rub)
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 package Cream Cheese
- 12 oz. Penne Pasta
- 5 Red Bell Peppers
- 2 Shallots, minced
- 2 Spring Onions, cut into small rings, white and green parts
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, divided
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- 2 Tbs. Grape Seed Oil (substitute canola, or vegetable oil)
- Smoke whole bell peppers for 1 hour in a smoker Or place peppers on a foil lined sheet and place in a 450 degree oven until the skins are charred (smoking is preferred, but do what you can).
- Then place the peppers in a paper bag until cool enough to handle (the steam created will help loosen the peels).
- Peel the skins, remove the stems and seeds and discard, and chop the peppers very finely, and set aside.
- While the peppers are smoking, prep the other ingredients.
- Mince the shallot, and set aside.
- Cut the spring onions into small rings and set aside.
- Boil the pasta in salted water and set aside.
- To a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and sauté for 1 minute.
- Then add the chopped red peppers and sauté 1 minute.
- Add the cream cheese, heavy cream, bbq rub, cayenne pepper and half the parmesan cheese, and stir while the cream cheese melts.
- Drain the venison (discard the liquid, if you like) and add the venison to the red pepper cream sauce.
- Heat until bubbling.
- Add the spring onions.
- Serve the sauce over the pasta, and top with the remaining parmesan cheese.
**See BBQ Canned Venison for recipe: http://hehuntsshecooks.com/canning-game-meat/