By Bobbie Jo Wasilko
He Hunts She Cooks
- 3 lb Ground Antelope (substitute any ground meat you like)
- 2 lbs. Bacon
- 2-3 Jalapeños, de-seeded and minced finely
- 3 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 Slices Sandwich Bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 2 Tbs. Onion Powder
- 2 Tbs. Garlic Powder
- 1-8 ounce pkg. Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican
- 1 cup Prepared BBQ Sauce, *divided in 1/2 cup portions
- Kosher Salt
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground venison, minced jalapeño, beaten eggs, torn bread pieces, diced onion, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Mix until combined.
- Line a bread pan with saran wrap and divide the meatloaf in half.
- Place one half of the meatloaf in the bottom of the pan, press down lightly.
- Pour 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over top.
- Add the shredded cheese.
- Add the remaining half of the meatloaf and press down lightly, and set aside.
Make a basket weave out of the bacon
- From one and a half (about 16 slices) package of bacon, lay the bacon slices, horizontally close together on a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- From the other one and a half packages, take one piece of bacon, and weave it vertically, going over one slice and under the next piece of bacon to create a basket weave, stretching the bacon to reach the end of the slices of bacon.
- Continue until all the bacon creates a whole weave.
- Remove the meatloaf from the loaf pan by carefully turning it over and removing the saran wrap.
- Lay the meatloaf, top side down in the center of the bacon weave.
- Fold the bacon over the meatloaf, using a few toothpicks to secure it together.
- Carefully turn the whole meatloaf over and fold the foil up around it, but do not cover it (this is just to keep the drippings in the foil.
- Pre-heat the smoker, and add mesquite wood chips, to get some smoke developing.
- Place a drip pan under the grate and lay the foil and meatloaf directly on the smoke grate.
- Smoke for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, baste the meatloaf with remaining BBQ sauce. and continue to smoke another 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve.